CAPE 520 is always seeking new stewards. The more volunteers we have, the lighter the workload and the more we can accomplish. Being a steward can be as little or as much commitment as you are seeking. There are no required qualifications except an interest in helping make NRCan a better place to work. All stewards are offered paid training.
Here are some examples of the kind of work stewards do:
- Meet confidentially with any member who needs advice or who wants to file a grievance
- Meet with senior management to discuss high level issues and solutions in our biannual Labour Management Committee meetings
- Participate in health & safety committees
- Develop and share communications material to raise awareness
- Welcome new members to the department
- Negotiate our next collective agreement
- Any initiatives you want to take on that will improve NRCan and fits CAPE’s mandate
Diverse voices make us stronger. CAPE 520 always encourages ECs of any age, race, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, or ability to join us as stewards. Your can help us to improve the way we work, and to better serve our diverse workforce. Please let us know if you require any accommodations.
At this time, we are particularly seeking stewards who are francophone to support our ability to offer french language services, and stewards who can represent IETS, IPO West, MPMO, and SPRS.